San Fernando councilor shot dead
Home / Cebu / Local News / San Fernando councilor shot dead San Fernando councilor shot dead Time to read less than
1 minute Print a- a+ Read so far
CEBU. San Fernando, Cebu Councilor Alexander Alicaway was ambushed Wednesday afternoon, March 14, 2018. (Photo from sanfernandocebu.gov.ph)
AN INCUMBENT municipal councilor was shot dead around 5 p.m. Wednesday, March 14, by riding-in-tandem gunmen near the public market in south Poblacion, San Fernando, Cebu.
Senior Inspector Adrian Nalua, the town police chief, identified the fatality as San Fernando Councilor Alexander Alicaway, who succumbed to a gunshot wound in the head.
The victim was rushed to South General Hospital in Naga City, but he was declared dead on arrival by the attending the doctor.
Nalua said they are still investigating to determine the motive behind the incident.
He said the victim had no criminal records in the past.
Alicaway's name, Nalua added, had not surfaced in the list of personalities involved in any illegal activity.
Nalua added that Alicaway did not report threats to his life to the police station.
"We will interview the family and relatives to determine the reason behind the murder," he said in a phone interview.
Nalua has ordered his investigators to check the closed circuit television cameras of establishments to identify the gunman.
Alicaway is the second town official in Cebu Province killed in an ambush in less than four weeks.
Ronda Vice Mayor Jonnah John Ungab was gunned down in Cebu City last February 19. (SunStar Cebu)
Latest issues of SunStar Cebu also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.Source: Google News